- Youth Training
- Kids of All Ages
- Chef-K Store
- About Us
- Kids In Action
This is a simplified version of a European style tart with custard. This can be made year round with different seasonal fruit. Examples of seasonal fruit are listed below. The nutrition values were calculated using summer plums.
· 2 lbs prepared fresh fruit (washed, dried, and sliced or cubed such as summer plums)
· ¼ cup sugar (use up to ½ cup sugar for tart plums or rhubarb)
· 1 prepared pie crust
· 6 crisp margherite or ladyfinger cookies, broken into ½-inch pieces
· 1 large eggs, lightly beaten
· 1/2 cup heavy cream
· 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
· ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare fruit and place in bowl with sugar
- Let stand (rhubarb takes up to 2 hours, other fruit can sit while preparing crust.
- Place prepared crust in an 11-inch tart pan with removable bottom
- Place tart pan on baking pan or cookie sheet (to catch drips)
- Scatter the cookies over the crust in a single layer
- Spread fruit and juices over cookies
- Bake 25 minutes or until fruit is cooked through
- Combine eggs, cream, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Pour over fruit and bake 15 to 25 minutes until custard is set.
- Serve cool
Fall: Apples or pears
Spring: Rhubarb or berries
Summer: Plums, peaches, or nectarines
Nutrition based on summer plums
Per serving: Calories 310, Total Fat 15g (23% DV), Saturated Fat 7g (35% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 55mg (18% DV), Sodium 190mg (8% DV), Carbohydrates 43g (14% DV), Dietary Fiber 2g (8% DV), Sugars 24g, Protein 4g, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 20%, Calcium 2%, Iron 6%.