- Youth Training
- Kids of All Ages
- Chef-K Store
- About Us
- Kids In Action
Moroccan Lamb with Eggplant and Tomato Sauce
Moroccan Lamb with Eggplant
6 lamb chops, fat removed
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, finely diced
3 clove garlic, minced
3 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 ½ tsp Moroccan spice blend (Ras-el-hanout)
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp dried oregano
2 14oz cans whole tomatoes or 3 cups freshly pureed tomatoes
1 large standard eggplant or 6 Japanese style eggplants
2-3 Fresh Mint sprigs, chopped
- Slice the eggplants (if using Japanese eggplant cut in half, otherwise slice eggplant in 1” slices. Place on a platter or plastic cutting board with ridge then sprinkle with 1 ½ tsp of salt & set aside.
- Heat skillet with 2 Tbsp of oil, brown lamb chops on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the onions on medium to low heat until golden 8-10 minutes.
- Add 2 cloves of garlic minced, salt, pepper, Moroccan spice, cinnamon, oregano, and then sauté for another minute. Add the 3 cups of tomato puree and simmer uncovered until thickened 15-20 minutes.
- Place lamb chops back in with sauce & cover. Keep on low heat 10 minutes.
- Heat broiler. Rinse eggplant & pat dry. Combine 1 Tbsp of remaining olive oil and 1 clove garlic. Place eggplant on broiler pan & baste with garlic oil.
- Broil 1-2 minutes – Turn eggplants – baste other side with garlic oil and broil 1-2 more minutes.
- Add eggplants to pan with lamb & tomato sauce to keep warm, while preparing the rest of your meal.
- Served with Rice or Pilaf.
- Garnish lamb with chopped mint